With the back to school season in full swing, finding the time and motivation to prepare healthy meals can begin to fall by the wayside. It’s hard to come up with a sensible, quick and healthy meal that both tastes good and can be prepared in the hectic mornings before school. But if you let yourself get a little creative and experiment with new, interesting ingredients and incorporate your favorite flavors, you may find healthy food a little less mundane. Here are three easy recipes for fun yogurt parfaits that will brighten your day! Throw one together in a few minutes in the morning and call it breakfast. Alternately, prep the ingredients and take it to school for a refreshing midday meal. Just keep the crunchy stuff in separate containers from the creamy stuff, and mix it all together when you’re ready for it! See? Healthy food can be convenient.
There are tons of possibilities when it comes to yogurt parfaits. Feel free to stray from my recipe suggestions and try them with granola, Grape-Nuts, frozen yogurt, fruit crumble layered with yogurt…the possibilities are endless. Or, if you need some inspiration, here are three kid-friendly, yummy recipes anyone can enjoy, to get you started.
Loopy Tropical Parfait
Go fruity as a toucan for this flavorful and exciting breakfast parfait featuring Kellogg’s Froot Loops cereal.
- one container Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt, Tropical Fruit flavor (includes pineapple, mango, and passionfruit)
- one serving Kellogg’s Froot Loops cereal
- one medium-large red plum
- 4-6 strawberries
- 1 tbs sweetened flaked coconut
Prep the fruit: slice plum and remove pit. Remove stems and leaves from strawberries, and slice them, then halve the slices if desired.
Layer cereal, fruit and yogurt in a bowl. Top with coconut.
Awesome Apple Crisp Creation
Be awesome all day with this healthy allusion to apple crisp made with tart Greek yogurt, sweet pudding, real apple chunks, graham cracker pieces, nuts and cranberries that’s packed with nutrients as well as deliciousness! (This one I took to school in reusable, portable containers.)
- one container Chobani plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- one container Snack Pack brand Apple Pie A La Mode flavor pudding
- 1/2 large Gala apple
- 2 Honey Mead brand Honey flavor graham crackers
- handful mixed nuts of choice (I used an Emerald brand Natural Walnuts and Almonds 100 calorie pack)
- 1-2 tbs dried cranberries
Break graham crackers into bite-sized pieces. Chop apple into chunks. Now, combine all ingredients in desired serving bowl. Mix well so yogurt and pudding are blended together. Then, enjoy! (Note: if taking along to school, place apples in separate container from graham crackers and nuts so ingredients stay fresh. Mix together when ready to enjoy!)
Boston Cream Pie Parfait
Dig into decadent dreamland with this chocolatey concoction featuring Yoplait’s new Boston Cream Pie Greek yogurt and Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes cereal!
- one container Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt, Boston Cream Pie flavor
- one serving Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes cereal
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tbs dried cranberries
- 10-15 semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbs chocolate nut butter (I used chocolate hazelnut butter)
Use a spoon to paint the lower insides of a tall glass with graceful lines of chocolate hazelnut butter (or other chocolate nut butter.) Slice 1/2 banana thinly. Then, layer cereal, yogurt, banana, cranberries, and chocolate chips in glass.
What other yogurt parfait ideas can you dream up?