I call this a “volcano” smoothie because when I first made it, the recipe was so generous it overflowed out of my glass! So use a large glass or invite a friend to join you in enjoying this intricate harmony of fruity and chocolatey flavors emblazoned with a touch of tropical! Blend up, pour into a coconut, sip and savor.
Chocolate Orange Volcano Smoothie
serves one – two
- one banana (I used frozen; fresh would work too)
- one cup plain almond milk (I used Silk brand)
- one medium-large orange – reserve some segments for topping
- two strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s brand)
- 1 tbs organic blue agave syrup
- 1 tbs chocolate almond butter (I used MaraNatha brand Dark Chocolate Almond Spread)
- about 3 small ice cubes
- about 3 reserved orange segments from orange used in smoothie
- 10-15 semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbs sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbs chocolate almond butter
- one whole fresh strawberry
Directions: Place all smoothie ingredients in blender and blend for a minute or so, until smooth. Pour into a large glass or two smaller glasses, and place in freezer for a few minutes while you prepare the toppings!
For topping: arrange orange segments, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, and almond butter on surface of smoothie as desired. Cut a slit down the middle of the strawberry from the lower tip, leaving the top intact, and slide onto edge of glass. Serve cold.